Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Back in the day with the Marvel Gang (1969 style)


It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Marvel comics,as they represent some of the finest entertainment of their (or any) era. But you may wonder, the next time your see a particularly good issue, what kind of person made this product? Well, be curious no more. From the impossibly young Stan Lee's writings, to John Buscema's solid drawing, and Marie Severin's fantastic colors, there are the people behind the funnies.

From the accurately named Comics Oughta Be Fun!

6 comments:

the mighty joe said...

jim steranko is scary.

the mighty joe said...

but not quite as scary as artie simek. whoooo! that's scary.

Rojo said...

The really scary thing is that this roll call is the same year that Lee and Sternako wrote up My Heart Broke in Hollywood (it was then released in 1970). Imagine watching those two guys, looking like that, making the story a few posts below. Mind-blowing.

Eric Noble said...

Wasn't "My Heart Broke in Hollywood" the last story Jim Steranko did for Marvel? I read it on a Jim Steranko website. These are great pictures. Jim Steranko looks a bit like Rasputin.

Eric Noble said...

You know, I just noticed that Joe Sinnott looks like Disney animator Woolie Reitherman. Did anybody else notice that?

Rojo said...

"You know, I just noticed that Joe Sinnott looks like Disney animator Woolie Reitherman. Did anybody else notice that?"

This is the youngest picture I could find of him:

http://tinyurl.com/yrj8go

And I don't quite agree. Reitherman has a smaller but more prominent jaw, and narrower forehead. And the nose is different. But maybe you have a different picture that I haven't seen. Feel free to put it up.