Friday, March 21, 2008

Bimbo's Initiation (by Grim and Dave)



Earlier today I was asked who my favorite animator was. I can never decide permanently, but I think Grim Natwick would be a good choice. When he worked with the great Dave Fleischer it made the cartoons that cement The Fleischers' as my favorite cartoon studio (until they started imitating Disney). The above cartoon is one of those defining cartoons, and also unfortunately the last of Natiwck's first era of the Fleischers'. This is probably the finest print you will find of this cartoon unless it's released on DVD or shown in a theater. Wanna be a member like me?

3 comments:

Eric Noble said...

I wanna be a member, especially if Betty's gonna be there. It's one of my favorite Fleischer cartoons. They're never gonna let people make cartoons like this anymore. Thanks for posting.

Rojo said...

Weirdo: I think cartoons will become this individualistic and well made again if more education about how to judge and make these cartoons is taught, and John K. is doing a damn good job of that. Although I must agree with Bakshi in that new areas of cartooning must be uncovered. I mean, I love Dave and Grim but they are only two of my aspirations/influences, and I need to create my own drawing vocabulary.

Also; there actually was a respectful homage to this cartoon, in a dic produced piece one no less (which may be by Milt Knight):
http://tinyurl.com/2kfa6q

Eric Noble said...

I definitely agree that all aspiring cartoonists need to learn their craft. John K. is doing a great job of introducing the classic concepts of drawing to a whole new generation. I know he did that for me. Once I get past that hump, I want to be able explore my own ideas. We do need to explore new subject matter for American animation. I would like an animated film done in a comic book style, maybe do a film noir cartoon. As much as I love the classics, I want to break new ground and go beyond the norm. You know what I mean?